Eat right. Stay active. Get regular checkups. We all know these steps are the keys to maintaining good health. Guess what? They’re easy to achieve in Greater Peoria. Here’s how:
Healthy Food Choices
Opportunities to eat healthy abound in Greater Peoria — whether you’re choosing the ingredients yourself or letting someone else do the cooking.
- Local farmers’ markets: Why not get your meat and veggies right from the source? The Peoria RiverFront Market is one of the area’s largest, but you’ll also find farmers markets elsewhere in Peoria — as well as Canton, East Peoria, Elmwood, Havana, Metamora, Morton, Pekin, Peoria Heights and Washington at various times throughout the season. (Google specific markets for dates and times.)
- Organic groceries: Sunrise Health Foods is Greater Peoria’s largest health food store, featuring local meat and produce, grab-and-go meals and a large selection of vitamins and supplements. Most traditional grocery stores in the area are also well-stocked with local and organic goods. We’re located in the heart of the Farm Belt, after all.
- Plant-based eating: Many area restaurants offer plant-based selections, especially those with international menus (think Chinese, Indian, Mediterranean, Thai and Vietnamese). Both Radish Kitchen and Riley’s Vegan Sweets and Eats are 100% vegan. One World, CoreLife Eatery and Rhythm Kitchen also offer extensive vegetarian and vegan options.
Ways to Get Moving
Tracks, pools, courts, courses, ballfields, mile upon mile of trails — there’s no excuse not to stay active in Greater Peoria. If you’re looking for classes and well-rounded training opportunities, check out fitness centers like Peoria’s RiverPlex, Five Points Washington or one of the local YMCAs or YWCAs. Have a more specific workout in mind? Use these links to search for:
- Local CrossFit gyms
- Yoga or pilates studios
- Running and hiking trails
- Places to road, gravel or mountain bike
World-Class Care at Home
No matter how well you eat or how much you exercise, chances are you’ll eventually need to seek medical care. You’re in good hands in Greater Peoria, downstate Illinois’ medical hub. You can access two major healthcare systems — OSF HealthCare and Carle Health — each offering premium facilities, specialty care options, robust mental health services and more.
Plus, Greater Peoria is home to Illinois’ only children’s hospital south of Chicago — and will soon become home to a brand-new cancer institute with transformative proton therapy and a dedicated behavioral health center for children.